Monday, October 13, 2014

What's In The Box?!? - Episode 3 - "Wiz-War"


As I recounted in my very first entry, I went through a lamentable period in the late 80's / mid-90's when I considered board gaming to be a childish pursuit and, as such, I drifted away from the hobby. Mercifully, thanks to games like Magic: The Gathering, The Settlers of Catan, Shadows Over Camelot, and Zombies!!! (yes, I said Zombies!!!, fuck you) I eventually rediscovered table-top gaming and I haven't looked back since.

Unfortunately, the damage had already been done. During this period (which I now refer to as "The Dark Times") I missed out on a slew of awesome board games. This includes, but certainly isn't limited to The Fury of Dracula (1987), HeroQuest (1989), Warhammer Quest (1995) as well as the third edition of Talisman in 1994 and the fifth iteration of Wiz-War in 1995. By the time I set my sights on acquiring these Ameritrashtreasure classics, many of them were already languishing in out-of-print purgatory.

But thank Moloch for amazing companies like Fantasy Flight, who've allowed so many of these great games to rise phoenix-like from the ashes to once again captivate and entertain crusty old grognards such as myself. They've already done due diligence with sweet new editions of DungeonQuest and two other Jolly gems Cave Troll and Drakon so color me delighted when they brought back Wiz-War in 2012.

So impressed was I by this new take on the classic game that it inspired a new episode of "What's In The Box?!?".

NOTE: In addition to taking a close look at all of the components, I also include a brief capsule review of the game.


***
 Looking to creatively murder your friends using such diverse spells as "Fireball", "Slow Death" and "Five Fingered Fist Blast To The Cake-Hole"? Click on the image below to learn more about Wiz-War and give this blog some much-needed Victory Points in the process! 


  





No comments:

Post a Comment